The Early 1950s

But in the 1950s, there was still some room for growth. The full length of Aroostook Avenue was built up in house lots, north from the Aroostook Avenue School north to Second Street, where the old ball park had been.

In 1953, more lots were opened up for housing along Aroostook Avenue, on the other side of Central Street south to Birch Avenue, at the foot of Tin Can Alley. Lots were also made available on Congress Street, from the bend in Millinocket Stream to Cherry Street.

The Elks building was built in 1953, the club moving from its much smaller building on Penobscot Avenue, which it sold to the Bangor Hydro-Electric Company.

Additional plots of land were opened up in the New Development, extending it almost to Jerry Pond. Houses were being built along the streets leading to the golf course, along Forest Avenue and Orchard Street. The more recent houses being built in the New Development were different in design and color, as can be seen today.

Construction continued, not only in these new areas, but in other parts of town as well. Frank Rush had owned a large amount of land surrounding his farm and sawmill, and when James Kelley took over the farm, he turned much of the land surrounding it into the Kelley Trailer Park, which exists yet today.

Originally the Iron Bridge Road had been part of the old tote road along Millinocket Stream. By 1954, people were wanting to build there, resulting in a street of about forty very small houses. This area became known as the Pines.

© Michelle Anderson 2005-2014