Businesses and Security

More commonly, the Company would lay the foundations for new residences, leaving the houses themselves to be built by the emp-loyees who were to reside in them. These houses remained the property of GNP until the occupant was prepared to purchase it. In some cases, the Company would deed the land to the resident once he had completed $700 in improvements to the property.

Fowler’s farmhouse was turned into a boarding house for a time, run by the Moore family; and later, the first Millinocket post office.

Dick Levasseur erected a boardinghouse for his crew, and a man named McCluskey built a boardinghouse and dance hall on Shack Hill.

The town’s first store occupied a temporary building in the mill yards, just behind the stable, and was operated by James F. Kimball and Company. As the town grew, other stores were built to serve the town, including the Boots and Shoes Store, operated by the Gonya brothers; and William Heebner opened a drug store, both of which were located near where the mill was later to erect its office building.

Prior to 1901, there was no town administration, but the Great Northern saw to the organization of the settlement that it had largely built, as it was to continue to do even after the town was incorporated.

Security was provided by Fred Gates, a deputy sheriff employed by the Great Northern; and the Company saw to it that houses were built according to a plan. In fact, most of the early residences followed the same basic floor plan, although dormers, bays, and porches were added for variety and convenience.

© Michelle Anderson 2005-2014